Friday, November 11, 2005

The Grace Period

I find it helpful, when a friend first enters a new relationship, to give them a grace period where you accept that you will not be as important as their new beau. Accepting that up-front will avoid any loss of respect for your friend now, and any feelings of resentment towards him or her later - when they remember you and come back. It also allows them to enjoy - guilt free - the simplest part of the relationship; the beginning. On the selfish side, however, it also gives you a free 'absorb-myself-in-my-new-man-for-awhile' card when your time comes. So I recognize that. On the giving, understanding side, and on the selfish side. But I sure do miss them while I'm giving them grace.

In other news in my life, I tasted jealousy recently. (Not jealousy of my friend and her new beau - these are completely different situations. My jealousy recently wasn't even pointed directly at one person) But, I actually tasted it and it is bitter and hard to swallow. I don't like the flavor and I've been trying to get the taste out of my mouth. The bitterness is affecting the enjoyment of some of the other things in which I partake. I don't consider myself a jealous person, but sometimes it can be hard to fight off. I think the reason it can be so difficult to overcome is because we often don't want to admit we're jealous. So it just lies there - tucked away - and festers. And gets worse. Thus, I've decided to admit to myself that the flavor wasn't just 'I was tired that day' or 'I was just thinking too hard about the situation'. Because the fact of the matter is, I had plenty of sleep. And I didn't have to think about it very hard at all before I got JEALOUS. I admit it. I am straight up, no lie, frank, open, and honest Jealous. Now, I'll give myself a grace period. To do one of the hardest things there is to do when you feel passed over, forgotten about or left behind; Get over it. And I'll give myself this grace period up front. That way I can avoid any loss of respect for myself now. And any feelings of resentment towards myself (or anybody else) later. Although I must say, I sure will miss the taste of normal life while I'm giving myself grace.

2 comments:

thisonelife said...

Ahh, well done, well said, not that I have friends in need of a grace period but you deserve a comment.

Anonymous said...

yeah.
we all need a lil more grace. life might even taste a little better than normal.