Monday, September 10, 2007

TAW - Day 1

You know people really respect you when they will sit in silence as you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich in front of the entire class without explanation.

I guess we all assumed our Prof. was going somewhere with it, and he did. He certainly took his time about it though. He told us that putting the pieces of a trial together is about as easy as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, and then asked the class to re-tell all the steps he took to construct that sandwhich before the class. At the end of the demonstration he had two pieces of bread - literally pieces instead of a whole slice (much to the chagrin of the student who raised his hand to confidently volunteer the step "you took out two pieces of bread") - and a plate full of peanut butter and jelly. Nowhere in the vicinity of the courtroom was there anything even resembling a sandwhich of any kind. He wanted to demonstrate how hard it can be to tie a narrative together, even though it initially seems like it could be the easiest thing in the world. Ain't that always the way.

It certainly was harder for me than I expected, and I expected it to be hard. The attorney critiquing me said that I was "cold" and that I should try to be more "human" in my direct of my own witness.

Me? Cold? I cannot possibly even conceive that I have ever been cold to anyone in my entire life.

right...

No comments: